Sunday, November 15th, 2009
For anyone who may have been wondering about me and my family, I refer you to the blog I started in September, 2008, when my wife’s two sons came from Thailand to live with us here in Canada. It runs the gamut!
My “Other” Blog
I have made a website out of my resume good idea?
I have designed my own website with some information about myself, my resume a blog and other “interesting” links. I have this link on my resume when I send it out. I do a lot of hiring at my current position and I think this would be appealing. I am asking others who do hiring what do you think? I would rather not post it here, but you are welcomed to email me and I will give you the link. I would also invite feedback.
if you are going for a professional type role you need to ensure that everything on the link, including the blog, fits with the type / image and style fo job your going for.
Wish you luck,
My “Other” Blog
10 Blog Traffic Tips
Maybe a few days later you received a few hits when you told your sister, father, girlfriend and best friend about your new blog but that’s about as far you went when it comes to finding readers.
Here are the top 10 techniques new bloggers can use to find readers.
These are tips specifically for new bloggers, those people who have next-to-no audience at the moment and want to get the ball rolling.
It helps if you work on this list from top to bottom as each technique builds on the previous step to help you create momentum. Eventually once you establish enough momentum you gain what is called “traction”, which is a large enough audience base (about 500 readers a day is good) that you
no longer have to work too hard on finding new readers.
Instead your current loyal readers do the work for you through word of mouth.
Top 10 Tips
10. Write at least five major “pillar” articles. A pillar article is usually a tutorial style article aimed to teach your audience something. Generally they are longer than 500 words and have lots of very practical tips or advice.
This article you are currently reading could be considered a pillar article since it is very practical and a good “how-to” lesson. This style of article has long term appeal, stays current (it isn’t news or time dependent) and offers real value and insight.
The more pillars you have on your blog the better.
9. Write one new blog post per day minimum.
Not every post has to be a pillar, but you should work on getting those five pillars done at the same time as you keep your blog fresh with a daily news or short article style post. The important thing here is to demonstrate to first time visitors that your blog is updated all the time so they feel that if
they come back tomorrow they will likely find something new.
This causes them to bookmark your site or subscribe to your blog feed. You don’t have to produce one post per day all the time but it is important you do when your blog is brand new.
Once you get traction you still need to keep the fresh content coming but your loyal audience will be more forgiving if you slow down to a few per week instead. The first few months are critical so the more content you can produce at this time the better.
8. Use a proper domain name. If you are serious about blogging be serious about what you call your blog. In order for people to easily spread the word about your blog you need an easily rememberable domain name.
People often talk about blogs they like when they are speaking to friends in the real world (that’s the offline world, you remember that place right?) so you need to make it easy for them to spread the word and pass on your URL.
Try and get a .com if you can and focus on small easy to remember domains rather than worry about having the correct keywords (of course if you can get great keywords and easy to remember then you’ve done a good job!).
7. Start commenting on other blogs. Once you have your pillar articles and your daily fresh smaller articles your blog is ready to be exposed to the world. One of the best ways to find the right type of reader for your blog is to comment on other people’s blogs.
You should aim to comment on blogs focused on a similar niche topic to yours since the readers there will be more likely to be interested in your blog.
Most blog commenting systems allow you to have your name/title linked to your blog when you leave a comment. This is how people find your blog. If you are a prolific commentor and always have something valuable to say then people will be interested to read more of your work and hence click through to visit your blog.
6. Trackback and link to other blogs in your blog posts. A trackback is sort of like a blog conversation. When you write a new article to your blog and it links or references another blogger’s article you can do a trackback to their entry.
What this does is leave a truncated summary of your blog post on their blog entry – it’s sort of like your blog telling someone else’s blog that you wrote an article mentioning them. Trackbacks often appear like comments.
This is a good technique because like leaving comments a trackback leaves a link from another blog back to yours for readers to follow, but it also does something very important – it gets the attention of another blogger.
The other blogger will come and read your post eager to see what you wrote about them. They may then become a loyal reader of yours or at least monitor you and if you are lucky some time down the road they may do a post linking to your blog bringing in more new readers.
5. Encourage comments on your own blog. One of the most powerful ways to convince someone to become a loyal reader is to show there are other loyal readers already following your work. If they see people commenting on your blog then they infer that your content must be good since you have readers so they should stick around and see what all the fuss is about.
To encourage comments you can simply pose a question in a blog post. Be sure to always respond to comments as well so you can keep the conversation going.
4. Submit your latest pillar article to a blog carnival. A blog carnival is a post in a blog that summarizes a collection of articles from many different blogs on a specific topic. The idea is to collect some of the best content on a topic in a given week. Often many other blogs link back to a carnival host and as such the people that have articles featured in the carnival enjoy a spike in new readers.
To find the right blog carnival for your blog, do a search at http://blogcarnival.com/.
3. Submit your blog to blogtopsites.com. To be honest this tip is not going to bring in a flood of new readers but it’s so easy to do and only takes five minutes so it’s worth the effort. Go to Blog Top Sites, find the appropriate category for your blog and submit it.
You have to copy and paste a couple of lines of code on to your blog so you can rank and then sit back and watch the traffic come in. You will probably only get 1-10 incoming readers per day with this technique but over time it can build up as you climb the rankings. It all helps!
2. Submit your articles to ArticleBase.com. This is another tip that doesn’t bring in hundreds of new visitors immediately (although it can if you keep doing it) but it”s worthwhile because you simply leverage what you already have – your pillar articles. Once a week or so take one of your pillar articles and submit it to ArticleBase.com.
Your article then becomes available to other people who can republish your article on their website or in their newsletter. How you benefit is through what is called your “Resource Box”.
You create your own resource box which is like a signature file where you include one to two sentences and link back to your website (or blog in this case). Anyone who publishes your article has to include your resource box so you get incoming links. If someone with a large newsletter publishes your article you can get a lot of new readers at once.
1. Write more pillar articles. Everything you do above will help you to find blog readers however all of the techniques I’ve listed only work when you have strong pillars in place. Without them if you do everything above you may bring in readers but they won”t stay or bother to come back.
Aim for one solid pillar article per week and by the end of the year you will have a database of over 50 fantastic feature articles that will work hard for you to bring in more and more readers.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Internet marketer Gary Neame specializes in teaching real people how to successfully start, build, and grow their own profitable online businesses on small budgets. To get instant access to the step-by-step strategies, tools, and resources. visit:All About Internet Marketing Tips
I received a notice of violation and my question deleted. I added in my details to remind some of the answerers who didn’t ask a question, but rather asked me question, to abide by the rules and not have discussion in the quesiton. and if they want they can chat with me on messenger or send me comments. but I suprised that my question deleted and the reason given is “OTHER”.
I put the whole email here:
thank you for your help.
I made a comment on his blog that I will not retype here. Hope it helps. : D
RickRoll’d He’s Back! OMG OMG OMG OVER 30 MILLION RICKROLL’d!
128 Capacity CD/DVD case Wallet, storage,holder,booklet by Rekukos（Black）
. Protective Keep Dirt Away & Prevent Scratches . Durable exterior protects your CD/DVD . Moisture & Tear Resistant . Holds 128 CD/DVD Discs…
Car Phone Mount, Vena [6Netic] Square Magnetic Cellphone Car Mount, Universal Air Vent Holder for iPhone X/8 Plus/8, Galaxy Note 8/S8 Plus/S8, Google Pixel 2/2 XL, LG V30/G6, HTC, Motorola – Black
A Perfectly Powerful Magnetic Air Vent Mount The Vena 6Netic magnetic air vent mount incorporates 6 powerful N45 magnets to safely and securely mount your smart phone to the magnetic mount an onto almost any air vent, whether in yours or your carpool’s car. Maximize Your Commute with the vCommute Case Pair the magnetic air vent mount with the Vena vCommute case and maximize your commute. With it…
NEW Fuel Valve Petcock for YAMAHA 1992-2004 YZ125, 1993-2004 YZ250, 1998-1999 YZ400F, 2001-2002 YZ426F, 2003-2005 YZ450F
Fuel Petcock for Yamaha
Boveda 72-Percent RH Retail Cube Humidifier/Dehumidifier, 60gm – Pack of 12
Boveda Technology Works Two Ways Whether it’s food, cigars, cigarettes, RYO, chewing tobacco or herbal medicine, these products lose their character if the humidity isn’t right. Too much humidity is just as bad as being too dry, especially when mold enters the picture. Boveda’s patented technology adds or removes humidity as conditions require, maintaining the specific moisture conte…
Coop Home Goods – THE EDEN PILLOW – Ultra Tech Cover with Gusset – ADJUSTABLE Fill features cooling and hypoallergenic gel infused memory foam with fiberfill – MADE IN USA – QUEEN
I’m Eden, and you could say that I’m the top-of-the-line model here at Coop. I’ll keep you cool with my gel-infused memory foam. I also have a special blend of premium combed microfiber, which makes me softer, cushier, and more luxurious than the others. My gusseted cover makes me special and ensures full edge-to-edge support. The Case With an added gusset, the soft, luxurious Eden case allows mor…
Rainbow Vision Sand Picture — Deep Sea Pacific (Black)
Klaus Bosch’s Rainbow Vision Sand Pictures are interactive, ever-changing, mesmerizing and versatile art pieces. Put them on your desk and watch them evolve with a new creation with each turn. Put our “movies” on the wall and enjoy the added dimension of the image to enhance the performance of the sand. We offer a range of Sand Pictures for every budget and every person. We have found men like the…
Ravens Brew Whole Bean Deadmans Reach, Dark Roast 5-Pound Bag
Revitalize your lifestyle and resurrect your palate with this inimitable high-speed blend. Suitably brewed by any method: drip, French press, or espresso. Produces an outstanding crema and punches through a tall latte with dense coffee flavor. Dark Roast….
(3 pack) 16 oz THETIS Homes Plastic Squeeze Squirt Condiment Bottles with Twist On Cap Lids – Perfect For Syrup, Sauce, Ketchup, BBQ, Condiments, Dressing, Arts and Craft, Workshop, Storage, and More
Store and serve your favorite sauces, condiments, and oils with this set of 6 squeeze bottles from THETIS Homes. Full mouths make filling easy, and dishwasher safe PE makes clean up a breeze. Whether you are bottling your secret BBQ sauce for the neighborhood picnic or packing for a camping trip, squeezable condiment containers are a must. Not just any container will do, though. THETIS Homes condi…
Arteza Wine Glass Metallic Markers – Pens (Set of 8)
Now the world is your canvas Don’t restrain yourself to just paper, these markers are fantastic on all kinds of surfaces. They write on glasses, mugs, mirrors… places that have been woefully off limits for ages. This is the Swiss Army Knife of the marker world With the power to apply beautiful, crisp color to just about anything, all those projects you spent your life wishing you could do just …
Related articles by Zemanta
- How Blog Carnivals Help Bloggers (best-tutorial.net)
- Are Your Backlinks Relevant (tlmarketing.net)
- A Follow Up Article is Really Great Article for Guest Posting (shoutmeloud.com)
- [Question]My Comments are going into Spam Comment (shoutmeloud.com)
- What Makes A Blog Successful? (lockergnome.com)
- March: A (Blogging) Month To Remember! (dave-lucas.blogspot.com)
- The 3 Main Pillars Of Blogging (shoutmeloud.com)
- The Art of Blogging (redefininggood.wordpress.com)
- Collecting Trackbacks for Fun and Profit (johnchow.com)
- Recent Increase In Trackback Spam (ghacks.net)
- HOW TO PING YOUR BLOG? – YOUPROBLOG.com (best-tutorial.net)
- Top 14 Golden Tips to Help Drive Traffic to your Blog (best-tutorial.net)